Enterprise Mobility Management
Mobile technology is changing the face of business at a rapid pace. Organizations are comprised of a broader more diverse employee base who are utilizing mobile devices, applications, and content in myriad ways. Managing this diverse landscape can be dicey, even more so with the introduction of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) programs. Sensitive data that traditionally stayed within the corporate walls now travels home every day in the hip pockets of employees. In fact, Forrester reports that 53 percent of employees are using personally owned technology for work purposes. With the ubiquity of today’s mobile technology and this new level of complexity and risk, IT departments are looking for a more holistic approach to manage all things mobile.
The Evolution of Enterprise Mobility Management
As mobility continues to evolve and mature, technologies such as Mobile Device Management (MDM), Mobile Application Management (MAM) and Mobile Content Management (MCM), concurrent but unconnected, begin to overlap. This convergence has spawned a discipline we refer to as Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). EMM is a mobility management approach that accounts for the entire mobile ecosystem. An approach based on the premise that the endpoint is now the user and that the same levels of management and security necessary in a deskbound world is also necessary in a world that has gone completely unwired.
Key elements of EMM provide IT managers the ability to control and secure mobile assets through:
- Consolidation and governance of all mobility initiatives under IT management /li>
- Enforcement of mobile device policy and user access configuration and compliance
- Streamlining new user enrollment, software updates, Help Desk troubleshooting, and device decommissioning for lower support costs per user
- Automated alerting and controls, preventing excessive charges through real-time cost management
- Secure containerization for email, PIM, and attachments
- Secure access to intranet sites, line-of-business applications, internally published mobile apps, and internal document management systems
- Protection of critical business data, user authentication, and encryption for data at rest and data in motion
To succeed, organizations need a comprehensive strategy that allows IT to control and protect each facet of their mobile enterprise. Whether it's the devices employees use, the content they access, or the data they share, enterprise mobility management tools empower organizations to achieve a secure, agile, and performance-optimized mobile infrastructure.